9.13.2010

Lessons learned: Caroline DeCesare interiors

Goood morning! Today I'm feeling inspired by some interiors I came across on Full House (great blog, by the way) and thought I'd share some of the ones I really loved. The rooms are all designed by Caroline DeCesare and they're not only gorgeous, but also kind of "educational" (take that with a grain of salt since I am in no way a professional). The point is, there is something to learn from these rooms and the way the designer has brought in some quirky and creative ideas.

Like this room:

That barn door on a sliding track is kind of genius. It allows you to close off the living room for some quite or privacy, but doesn't close off the space.

Idea #2:

Don't be afraid to display interesting objects in unusual ways. I lurrrv these framed vintage bathing suits. Paired with the old sewing form but juxtaposed with the very clean furnishings, this room stays somewhat modern and doesn't get into kitschy territory.

I also love how she groups things:

I'm already a huge fan of a big ol' gallery wall (I have one in my own house), but this one seems especially awesome to me. I think it's because she's unified the objects with all black frames and has kept the items displayed to very graphic things.

Another fun idea:

I love that she's brought what look like house numbers inside. You could put up your actually house number, or even just your favorite number or something with significance.


In this room, a mirror is fashioned to look like a porthole window, giving the impression of a ship's cabin. So creative, and super easy to implement.

Another unexpected element is the thick rope covering these lighting cords:

It has a hint of nautical without being too theme-y, and adds some rustic appeal to the otherwise polished room.

So what do you think? Do you like these quirky elements and unexpected inclusions?

3 comments:

  1. Actually, believe it or not, portholes (modern, vintage, or novelty) are a highly-demanded market item. We salvaged a vintage vessel that was a wrecker last Summer, and the portholes were snapped up by restaurant and residential decorators. The larger, heavier, and brassier, the better! Oh, and a good, authentic patina helps, as well. Love the looks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the further information, Mermaid! Good to know (and glad you liked the images as well).
    xoxo, R

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them, Rach! Although I still think it needs more crab shanty...

    ReplyDelete