5.20.2009

Scoot it up



Since it's such a lovely day out, I decided to take my scooter for a quick trip to the grocery store (see aforementioned obsession with the grocery store). Every time I ride my scooter I love it a bit more. It's a great way to zip around town - on streets that are 45mph or less (scoot scoot has some speed, but can only really get to 49 or so with just me on it, so it's not safe to take it on, say, Rt. 95) - and it's much cheaper and more eco-friendly than taking the car, especially if I'm going someplace nearby. Also the scooter is totally cute and I feel a bit like Gwyneth every time I jump on (though she looks much cooler in her helmet - I just kind of look like a bobblehead doll).


Gwyneth Paltrow

We got our first scooter after I took an amazing trip to the Italian coast where my best friend and I rode a two-person scooter up and down the Aeolian Coast for two weeks, taking in beautifully breathtaking seascapes and fresh air the whole way. Every time we hopped on the scooter (well, in that case it was more like a pseudo-motorcycle 350-pound behemoth), we oohed and aahed at the sights we saw (and then ate our second helping of gelato for the day). When I got home, B (the boyfriend) surprised me with a shiny silver Vespa lookalike. Sadly, that scooter was stolen a month in, but I've since replaced his purchase with a fun, sea blue scooter. Here's (part) of a pic of me on said scooter:



Please ignore the dorky matching blue fleece (it was chilly out that night!) and schlumpy posture. I definitely did not match the jacket to the scooter on purpose. I'm all for a pulled-together look, but matching my jacket to my scooter is a bit much.
Though if I had to wear head-to-toe leather duds to hop a ride on the back of this scooter, I would:


Hugh Jackman


But definitely not on either of these:


The Jonas Brothers

Don't get me wrong: I love an episode of "So You Think You Can Dance" as much as any other 13 year old, but I draw the youthful obsessions line at the Jonas Brothers. :)

With all that being said, scooters are a great way to jet around town - especially in a smaller, seaside city such as ours - and it's slightly more green than trucking around in an SUV. Not to gloat, but I also laughed all the way home every day last summer when gas prices were through the roof and my little scooter was getting 70 miles to the gallon. Nonetheless, happy scooting everyone, and hope you enjoy this gorgeous day! xoxo -r.

No comments:

Post a Comment