10.07.2009

Cold-weather get-together


(Anyone know where this photo came from? I seem to have lost the source. So sorry!)

Remember how I was looking for an excuse to have a party so I could make these? Well, now that fall is truly here and the nighttime temperatures are rapidly dipping, B and I have been talking about hosting a little cool-weather shindig at our homestead. One of our favorite parts about our house is the large fireplace, so we want to put together a casual evening where our friends can lounge around, enjoy the fire and some drinks, and catch up now that everyone's hectic summers are over.

At the beginning of the year when friends and I were planning an engagement party for our friends, we were originally going to use a similar theme - we called it "warm wishes" at the time. Though the date of the engagement party got pushed back due to the couple's families' schedules (and we therefore had to change the wintry theme to something more appropriate for the then-warm weather), I think the same ideas will transfer nicely for the house party that B and I want to host.

Here's the inspiration board I put together for the engagement party; it was my first ever mood board, so it's pretty basic (and I didn't yet know to save sources, so my apologies there), but have a look if you like:


I still plan to keep the ideas of having the fireplace as the center of the party, using lots of candles, incorporating plaid, putting out tons of pillows and cozy blankets, and of course serving warm drinks (maybe hot chocolate with marshmallows, like in the picture, but spiked of course).

Here are some other "cold-weather get-together" inspirations that I like:


Set the tone with a cool invitation by Ceci New York (though for our party we'll probably go casual and just email...)


Tell guests to wear comfy clothes (these ones from Toast)


Cast a warm glow with candles and moss, as seen on Snippet & Ink


Decorate with season-appropriate gourds and pumpkins, as found on Country Living


Scatter about warm, wooly blankets, like these ones from Toast Home

Serve delicious drinks and nosh like these:

Mulled cider from Williams-Sonoma


Mini mac and cheese (as seen on Martha Stewart)


Mini doughnuts and coffee (or hot chocolate - mmm!), also from Martha


Milk and cookies, photographed by Aaron Delesie via The Bride's Cafe

And of course, relax, chill and enjoy!

Photo from Toast Home

Want to come to our party? :)

1 comment: