8.06.2009

You are special today


Since I caught some flack from an anonymous source on who I should thank for the inspiration of my delicious english muffin, peanut butter and banana breakfast (sorry, Elvis), I'll come right out and put this up front: this tradition is something my mom established in our house when I was a kid. I loved it, so I wanted to share it with you, too.

The "you are special today" red plate was so exciting to us as kids. On certain days - birthdays, the morning after losing a tooth, for a good report card, or any day that needed brightening - we would get to eat off the special plate, and if it was a really big event, it would be noted in indelible pen on the back of the plate.

Wouldn't this make a great gift for a couple getting married or perhaps at a first baby shower? The plate, made by Waechtersbach, isn't terribly expensive and makes for a lovely heirloom / instant family tradition. You can find it online here and tons of other places. Shoot, I think I just blew the surprise of what I was thinking of buying a certain (not-quite my) in-law for Christmas this year!...

1 comment:

  1. i JUST got that plate as a gift and i CAN"T WAIT to crack it out. I love the idea.

    your blog is lovely.

    ReplyDelete