6.24.2010

The stationary/stationery issue

I'll admit it: I am a big ol' jerk, a grammar snot if you will (I may have mentioned this before). Sadly, if you spell something incorrectly, I'll probably judge. Sorry, but it's true. :| I'm not perfect by any means, but I do like a correctly written sentence.

One word/homophone pair that gets confused a lot (other than "a lot," which is not one word, as some people seem to think): stationery vs. stationary. That's why I love this tote bag:

The genius Sapling Press created this helpful tote in case you - or any repeat offenders you know - need a quick reference. It really clears things up, huh? And if you're a mean, mean grammanimal like I, then you're in luck, because these bags are available in the Sapling Press shop here.

Originally spotted on Oh So Beautiful Paper. Photo from Sapling Press.

Want more grammar-nerd posts? Enjoy a slew here.

3 comments:

  1. My grandfather had a way of associating the correct spelling with the correct concept: With stationEry, you need an Envelope. With stationAry, well, no Envelope. The secret is in the EEEEEEEEEE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good tip - thanks, Turquoise Mermaid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow...thanks so much for the tote love!

    ReplyDelete