6.11.2009

Paddle surfing (alternately titled "hang five")


Photo from Paddle Surf Hawaii (by Clark Little)

I think it's cool that celebrities like Cameron Diaz and Matthew McConaughey get to pretend to be surfers to keep in shape and enjoy the gorgeous waves of the West Coast. But here in Annapolis, we don't exactly have the kind of shoreline that's ideal for surfing. We do, however, have a ton of flat to choppy water with minimal to medium waves, making this a perfect spot for the newest celebrity beach fave: paddle surfing (sometimes also called paddle boarding).

Kate Hudson, Jennifer Aniston, Matthew McConaughey (what sport doesn't he do?), Denise Richards, Pierce Brosnan, Adrian Grenier and Jennifer Garner have all tried it.


Kate Hudson


Jennifer Aniston


Camila Alves and Matthew McConaughey

Supposedly paddle surfing is sort of like surfing (balance required) but you use the paddle to propel yourself over flat water, so huge waves are not required. It's a good workout for the upper body and core, it helps with balance, and actually helps you get more speed when you catch a wave. Since the boards and wider and longer than traditional surf boards, you can surf on small waves and for longer, and can try this out anywhere - from the ocean to a flatwater river.

Hey, if it makes my body look more like Jennifer Aniston's I'm in. Now if only I could try it in Hawaii instead of the Chesapeake Bay (don't get me wrong, I love the East Coast, but I don't like fish with three eyes), I'd be really stoked.

No comments:

Post a Comment