6.05.2009

What the frock?


Photo from Marie Claire

I seriously could not believe my eyes as I was flipping through the April issue of Marie Claire (yeah, yeah, I'm a little late on my trashy tomes, I know) and came upon this pitch-perfect summertime sailboat dress. I wasn't so surprised by the fun print and 50s style cut (MC always finds great summer scores), but more so by where the dress was from: ....(wait for it).... JC Penney! I know, right?

Upon further research (aka a quick Google search), it turns out JCP has a new line called American Living, which is really making a splash. I remembered seeing several of their print ads and a few tv ads that looked like they came straight from Polo Ralph Lauren or Tommy Hilfiger, and it turns out that's pretty true. Seems JCP has teamed up with none other than Ralph Lauren to create this new line of clothing and home goods. Good ol' Ralph Lifshitz hasn't attached his name to any of the actual pieces (it's surreptitiously missing from all the labels and advertising), but the designs and inspiration are right from the source.

Anyway, this dress started out at $90 (kind of high for JCP, in my opinion), but the fabric is of good quality and the cut seems really flattering. Also, in true JCP style, nothing stays full price for long, and it's now on sale for $44.99. I snuck into my local store, but alas, they only had sizes 10 and up. But, you can buy it online here (ignore the cheesy 1980s preppy styling in this photo).

How cute would this be dressed down (throw on some flip flops and you're good to go) for a backyard barbecue or dockside crab feast, or dressed up a bit (summery espadrilles and a little cardi or cute jacket) for dinner al fresco? Gotta love a fun (and bargain) summer dress. Quelle suprise, JCP, and good work!

No comments:

Post a Comment